Sunday, May 3, 2009

Putting the old dog down

It was a sad day at the Reel house yesterday. We had to put our old beast down, her name was BIG RED. She has been in our family since Eric and I were married. We bought her from Eric's dad shortly after Tarren was born. His parents were moving to Texas and needed some extra money. Eric was always in love with her and had to have her. We knew what was potentially wrong with her, and being a mechanic Eric knew he could do whatever need be to keep her up and running. I cursed her for many years. I think there might have been some jealousy between us. I knew she was the second love of Eric's life. Right after Trent was born, we actually sold her to a co-worker when Eric worked at SWIFT Trans. We needed a bigger truck, one with the extra bench in the back. She just wasn't big enough for our growing family. Poor Eric searched high and low for something to replace her. After a month of looking, he actually went back to the guy and offered to buy her back for double what we sold her for. So not only was she paid off the first time we had her, we proceeded to take her back and pay for her ALL over again. Do you see where my hatred came in.

But in her defense, she was always faithful. Whenever my car broke down, Big Red came through. I hated driving her. I knew I took years off the clutch whenever I drove her (which wasn't very often). I won't lie there were some great memories. When I was pregnant with the younger two, Eric would take me for a ride in hopes of inducing labor. Eric lifted her by 5in before Caitrin was born, so imagine me being 8 months prego climbing in to that beast.

When Eric took the job with DeAtley, he knew her days were numbered. We knew that Eric wouldn't be in Kooskia forever, and would have to move to a far from home plant. She coughed and wheezed coming up and down River Road. It broke my heart when Eric couldn't come home for Tarren's softball games because we just didn't know if she'd make it back. Our decision came about a week and a half ago to replace Red. Eric had my computer in the evenings and would search on line for something more "dependable". (We refuse to buy in the valley). I know that Eric had a heart to heart with Red. He explained to her it was high time that she retire. He promised to do good by her, maybe rebuild the engine fully, give her a new paint job, make her feel pretty and new... some day. He told her that the next one had some big shoes to fill, since NO ONE would be able to fill her place in his heart. Soooo... with out further ado... here's our new member of the family.
Haven't decided on a name yet, but we bought her in Coeur'd Alene. Since MY car had to go into the shop,and Ford gave us a loaner, what better car to go up in. It wasn't miles we were putting on my car. The new truck wasn't EXACTLY what Eric wanted but he took it for a spin, and he thought that she'd serve his purpose. He said the ride home was awesome. She actually had a radio that worked, she didn't wheeze and cough, and the ride was smooth. As I was following behind Eric coming home, I realized that this new truck fit Eric perfectly. The side mirrors stuck out more then I thought they should have and it reminded me of Eric's ears. Perfect fit. I even called Eric and told him that, he just laughed.
As for Big Red, she'll sit in the drive patiently waiting for Dad to give her some extra TLC, when he has time.

No comments: