Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day 2009

I have been wanting to go back up to the falls since last year. With the gas prices SO high last summer and Eric being laid off right after the 4th of July, we really didn't go anywhere or do much. So I BEGGED him to take me up to Elk River for Memorial Day. He graciously agreed. I asked my sister and her family to accompany us. All the boys rode up in Eric's truck and the girls all road up in my car. (Please don't ask me what the deal is with the sticks in the mouths, I have no clue and it just doesn't end here... you'll see.)


All these kids are such posers. There were many fallen trees on the trails. I'm glad that I opt not to bring the stroller. I would have ended up carrying it more then pushing it. Caiti Bug was a real trooper.

This was at the lowest falls. I didn't take a picture of it, but there were people swimming and playing around at the bottom of water fall. It was still a little too cold for me.


This was the Middle Falls. The tallest of all three. There is a game trail that you can take to the very top of it. My parents made me take it when I was 14. When the kids are a little older, I'm sure I'll do the same. There were people all over those trails.

My sister and I. Need I say more.
Like I said earlier, Caiti was such a trooper. It's a total of almost 2 and a half miles round trip, by this point we had about a half a mile left to the parking lot. She trucked all those steep hills and narrow trails. If you have taken that trail, you'd know it's not a straight stretch.
But what's going to Elk River without scoping the town. There were many trailers and truck trying to hit the road and head back into town.

And you can't go to Elk River without going to Huckleberry Haven and having their famous Huckleberry Ice cream. It's the best. I highly recommend it. They had a Huckleberry pie in there for sale, it ran for $21.00, or $7.00 a slice. We just settled for the ice cream.

After the ice cream we went up to the lake for some fishing. Caiti had other ideas. The boys weren't happy with her since she was splashing around and "making noise". She didn't care and apparently the water wasn't too cold for her.

I guess it wasn't fair, 3 boys and 1 pole. I didn't think we'd have enough time, so I didn't bring the others. I'll know better next time.

Bug and her dirty face. I swear it's a magnet for the dirt. All in all we had an awesome time. It was really relaxing and I honestly didn't feel rushed. We did what we liked, took our time. We had no where we had to be at any given time.
As soon as the Cedars open up, I'm sure we'll be taking another trip up that way.




1 comment:

Alaina said...

That looks like so much fun! You and your sister are so close to identical... so sweet.