Wednesday, April 8, 2009

First Hair cut







A long time ago I read of a Jewish tradition where they didn't cut the child's (mainly boys) hair until they were three. The Jews compare the child to a tree. In the Bible it says "when you enter the land and plant any kind of fruit tree, regard its fruit as forbidden. For three year you are to consider it forbidden , it must not be eaten" Lev 19:23

At the age of three a Jewish boy receives his first hair cut and is considers ready to learn the Jewish Education. They throw a party called "Upsherin" meaning to shear off. Blessings are said over the child, and the first snip of the haircut is given. Usually the first snip is in the hair at the center of the forehead, to symbolize wisdom, learning and insight.

Now I didn't go to the lengths of throwing a party, but I think it's a beautiful tradition. I did it to Tarren and now I did it to Caitrin. (I didn't with Trent because Eric and I were separated when Trent was a year and Eric mom took the liberty to cut his hair w/o me there, and we won't travel down that road).

If she looks sad, that's because she was. She screamed and wailed, she didn't want a stranger touching her. I had to step out of the room and Caiti had to sit on Tarren's lap just for April to even talk to her. Caiti finally settled down and April worked her magic. I know it looks uneven, but it way she was standing and her head was cocked. Looking at her right now, she looks so grown up. She's three next week, where did my baby go?


No comments: