Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Cooties

Yesterday, when I got home from work and Caitrin came running up to me hugging my leg.

Caiti: Mommy, Mommy! What do you do when a boy kisses you?
Me: (taken back a little) You slap that boy and tell him to keep his mouth to himself. Wait, did some one kiss you today?
Caiti: Yes, Killian did...twice.
Me: Well, how about we don't do that anymore. You don't need to be kissing, you're too young. Eric, what did you tell her.
Eric: I told her that if she was kissed, she had Cooties.
Me: (looking at Caitrin) Sorry, kiddo. Looks like you have Cooties.

Not thinking anything of what I said, I turned my attention to Eric and we started talking about our day. Eric stopped and asked if what he was hearing was Caitrin crying in the back ground. I stopped and listened.. sure enough she was in her room bawling.
As I rushed down the hall to see what the matter was, I saw her taking her coat and scrubbing her face and her tongue.

Me: Caiti! What are you doing? What's wrong?
Caiti: I don't want Cooties, Mom!

CRAP! Can you say "Heartbreaking"?

Me: Oh, Caiti, you're alright. You want to know what gets rid of Cooties? Go-Gurts. Let's go eat a Go-Gurt.

She seemed content with the remedy. I had to call the school and let them know that some kissing has been going on, and that if she ends up smacking a boy, I apologize in advance. I guess I better pay better attention as to what I tell her from now on.

2 comments:

Team Eddy said...

I loved reading this. Thanks for sharing. We'll keep it in mind when the girls get that age...except we won't tell them about the go-gurt antidote.

Kaelene Reel said...

Team Eddy- with as cute as your girls are, you'd go broke buying all the go-gurts. ;)