Friday, December 17, 2010

Daddy Day

Ever since Eric came back home from working on the road, his shift has been four 10's with Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off. That means Eric gets all day Friday with Caitrin to himself. She has declared every Friday "Daddy Day". They have their special routine: she wakes up and snuggles with him while he drinks his coffee, the older two and I head off to school/work, they venture out to a local coffee stand, cruise the town paying bills/running errands, come home and veg out for the rest day (must be awful).

This morning, while enjoying my coffee, I watched Caitrin walk right past me and crawl up on Eric's lap. Without even being told, it's like she knew instinctively that it's Friday and it's HER day with dad. Once my cup was empty, I proceeded my routine of getting ready. All the while, those two continued to sit there and have their own little conversations, playing and giggling. I took a small moment to absorb what they were doing, and I couldn't help but feel a tinge of jealousy. But I know all to soon it will have to end.

I asked Eric what he was going to do next year when she starts school. He just shrugged his shoulders and shook his head. I could see by the look on his face he didn't want to come to that realization just yet either. I know he looks forward to that day just as much as she does.
One by one they all are slipping through my fingers as I try to hold on just a little longer.

No comments: